Smartphone sales are starting to take off. They are almost always connected, and often right at your side. Add up the other devices such as the Apple iPod touch, Apple iPad, Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy, and Blackberry Playbook there is enough cause to think hard about a mobile strategy.
Another question that frequently comes up, is mobile apps versus mobile websites. We are going to explore the advantages of one as a oppose to the other.
Advantages of Mobile Websites
- Simpler to implement with existing site/content
- Generally cheaper to implement
- Platform-Agnostic, no separate version per device platform
- You can make mobile look almost like native apps
Advantages of Mobile Apps
- Access things like accelerometer, media, compass, and contacts, notification systems
- Exposure in app stores
- Easy to put an icon on a users home page
- It’s trendy
- No URLs to type in